It's that special time in your loved one's life when they've achieved the coveted military retirement. They've endured, been patient, and sacrificed for an entire career. Give them a nice memento to show that you care deeply about the commitment they've honored to this great country!
HOW TO FILL OUT THE OPTIONS TO THE RIGHT:
- PROOFREADING: We do offer a proofreading service for basic grammatical, spelling, and syntax errors. However, we know there may be some inside jokes and things of that nature that you may want to be left "as-is." In that case, simply opt-out of proofreading by selecting the second option in the drop-down menu.
- DESTINATION PREFERENCE: Some customers prefer to have their card(s) sent back to them before it is sent to their service member in order to place personal items in them such as photographs, charms, perfume/cologne sprays, etc. If you wish for the card and its sealing supplies (self-adhesive wax seal, tissue paper, flag card, and twine) to be returned to you before sending to your service member, please select the appropriate drop-down option in this box. You'll have a chance to input all of the recipient's (or your own) information in a later option.
- INK COLOR: This option will allow you to choose which color ink you want the calligraphy on the card to be calligraphed in. The inks we use are of good quality and dry efficiently. However, they are NOT waterproof. By the way, if you're unsure what "sepia" is, it is simply a golden-brownish ink with a slight coppery tint to it. It provides a more vintage look!
- SCRIPT STYLE: This option lets you choose the type of script calligraphy your card will have. While we are adding more scripts as much as possible, our calligraphers specialize in a two very attractive scripts at the moment that we feel fit the theme of our cards very well. Stay tuned for more designs and scripts in the future! *Please note that the cursive script we use is designed to emulate the faster writing that WWII era soldiers were accustomed to and is not designed to be wedding-style cursive.*
- PERSONALIZED MESSAGE: Here's the fun part! Write whatever you want to your service member! Not sure what to say with the space available? Here's a few tips!
- Tell a joke
- Tell a story from back home or childhood
- Tell a military story of your own
- Write a prayer that you frequently pray on their behalf
- Give some encouraging words
- Talk about what you'd like to do for fun the next time you see them
- *Any of these, and many more, work. Just remember it doesn't have to be perfect when it's from the heart as most of the time that's what makes it perfect!*
- We only have a few rules about your message. Some of these seem a bit odd to mention, but we follow the rules here at Penned Down:
*Penned Down will not knowingly transcribe any messages containing direct incitements or encouragements of violence in any way (yes, even some jokes are borderline in this area). Don't worry, if your message is found to contain something prohibited, we'll reach out to you about revising it. We won't just cancel your order right away.
*Penned Down will not knowingly transcribe any messages containing conspiracies to commit any crime(s) whatsoever.
*Penned Down is legally prohibited from commercially duplicating, and therefore transcribing/calligraphing, any messages containing any direct quotes, statements, speeches, etc. that fall under intellectual property rights (generally those made after 1923, i.e famous poems, song lyrics, movie quotes, etc.). Speech older than that IS permitted (i.e, an excerpt from the Gettysburg Address, U.S. Constituion, Declaration of Independence, Bible verses, etc.). If your message is found to contain intellectually protected material, Penned Down reserves the right to modify (with your approval) or cancel the message at our discretion. In this instance, however, we will make an effort to contact you via email regarding your message for revision. Simply reply to our email with your order # and revised message if asked to do so..
*Lastly regarding your message, please remember that all post card calligraphy is done by hand. Spacing and word placement will be completed with as much accuracy as possible, but may have slight variation in consistency. No indentions are made on the card (text covers %95 of the card's inscription area), and all words will be spaced appropriately to fit your custom message on the card.*
DELIVERY INFORMATION: This field allows you to place the name and address information (also rank if you wish to do so) for the recipient. As mentioned earlier, if the card(s) is/are being sent back to you first, please ensure you input your own address in this field. If not, place your service member's name (nicknames are fine!) and address using the following format:
- TO: "Your service member's name/nickname" FROM: "Your name" DELIVERY ADDRESS: "Delivery address here"
- If sending cards to a deployed service member, please have them communicate to you their unit's specific rules/guidelines for mail.
- As a reminder, all names, addresses, statements, and personal message content are protected from view to anyone but the calligrapher preparing your card. Your information nor your service member's information (including address for OPSEC) will never be shared!
- For more information on military addresses, follow this link to the USPS' guidelines for addressing military mail:
Have more questions? Visit our F.A.Q. section or send us an email at email@example.com and we'll answer them as best we can!
Due to the custom nature of Penned Down's calligraphy services, we cannot accept returns or exchanges. If you're unsatisfied with your purchase, please contact us to let us know what we can do to improve our services or make it right!
Please allow 1-5 business days for the creation of your card(s). Cards will be shipped via USPS the same day they are created or the following day.
Orders placed after 1700 (5:00 p.m.) CST (Central Standard Time) will still be received by Penned Down, but will only be started as early as the following business day.